Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had received physical therapy (MOVPT) for the condition they used a movement technique for the most (MOVTCONMOST), MOVPTTIM indicates whether they received physical therapy before, at about the same time, or after trying a movement technique.
Similar information was collected on the use of other conventional medical treatments, and the timing of those conventional treatments, in the following variables:
- Received mental health counseling (MOVCOUN)
- Timing of mental health counseling (MOVCOUNTIM
- Received prescription medications (MOVPMED)
- Timing of prescription medications (MOVPMEDTIM
- Received over-the-counter medications (MOVNPMED)
- Timing of over-the-counter medications (MOVNPMEDTIM
- Received surgery (MOVSURG)
- Timing of surgery (MOVSURGTIM
To collect this information, interviewers asked, "Did you receive any of these conventional medical treatments for [condition for which the reported movement technique was used the most]?" and entered all treatments reported by the respondent. For each treatment reported, interviewers asked whether such treatment was received before, at about the same time, or after trying a movement technique.
Respondents could report having used the following techniques in the past year:
- Alexander Technique (MOVALEXYR)
- Feldenkrais (MOVFELDYR)
- Pilates (MOVPILATYR)
- Trager Psychophysical Integration (MOVTRAGYR)
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who received physical therapy for the condition they used movement technique for the most.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT