Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had seen a practitioner for massage during the past 12 months (MASYR) and had used massage for a specific health problem or condition (MASTREAT), MASUSINTER indicates whether they had used massage because "you thought it would be interesting to try."
Other reasons for using massage that were recorded by the survey, and the associated IPUMS NHIS variables, are:
- MASUSHCREC (Health care provider recommended)
- MASUSENERGY (Enhanced energy)
- MASUSWELL (General wellness)
- MASUSMEDCOST (Medical treatments expensive)
- MASUSMEDFAIL (Medical treatment not help)
- MASUSCOMBO (Helps combined w. conventional med)
- MASUSIMMUN (Improved immune function)
- MASUSRELREC (Family or friends recommended)
For information about the full range of variables related to massage, including definitions, see MASYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for massage during the past 12 months and have used massage for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT