Codes and Frequencies
LANY is a recoded variable that indicates whether a person has any activity limitation.
LANY is a recode of information from several questions:
- For persons under age 5, "Is [person] limited in the kind or amount of play activities [he/she] can do because of a physical, mental, or emotional problem?" (LAPLAYAM)
- For persons under age 18, "Does [person] receive Special Educational or Early Intervention Services?" (LASPED)
- For persons age 3+, "Because of a physical, mental, or emotional problem, does [person] need the help of other persons with personal care needs, such as eating, bathing, dressing, or getting around inside this home?" (LADL)
- For persons age 5+ (1997) and persons age 18+ (1998 forward), "Because of a physical, mental, or emotional problem, does [person] need the help of other persons in handling routine needs, such as everyday household chores, doing necessary business, shopping, or getting around for other purposes?" (LAIADL)
- For persons age 18+, "Does a physical, mental, or emotional problem now keep [person] from working at a job or business?" (LANOWORK)
- For persons age 18+, "Is [person] limited in the kind or amount of work [he/she] can do because of a physical, mental or emotional problem?" (LAMTWRK)
- For all persons, "Because of a health problem, does [person] have difficulty walking without using any special equipment?" (LAWALK)
- For all persons, "Is [person] limited in any way because of difficulty remembering or because [he/she] experiences periods of confusion?" (LAMEMRY)
- For all persons, "Is [person] limited in any way in any activities because of physical, mental or emotional problems?" (LAOTHER)
An affirmative response to any of these questions is recoded in LANY as the person having an activity limitation. In this regard, LANY is summary measure that, as noted above, indicates whether a person is limited in any way.
For 1997-1998, the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) public files combine the categories of "Not limited in any way" and "Unknown if limited" into the single "Not limited or unknown" (IPUMS NHIS code 20). In contrast, for 1999 forward, these two categories are separated (IHIS codes 21 and 22 respectively). Researchers who want complete comparability for 1997 forward should combine the categories "Not limited in any way" (IHIS code 21) and "Unknown if limited" (IHIS code 22) into a single category.
- 1997-2013; 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018: All persons.
- No weights are available for this variable. Please refer to LANY for more information.