Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had received surgery (HYPSURG) for the condition they used hypnosis for the most (HYPTCONMOST), HYPSURGTIM indicates whether they received hypnosis before, at about the same time, or after trying acupuncture.
Similar information was collected on the use of other conventional medical treatments, and the timing of those conventional treatments, in the following variables:
- Received mental health counseling (HYPCOUN)
- Timing of mental health counseling (HYPCOUNTIM
- Received prescription medications (HYPPMED)
- Timing of prescription medications (HYPPMEDTIM
- Received over-the-counter medications (HYPNPMED)
- Timing of over-the-counter medications (HYPNPMEDTIM
- Received physical therapy (HYPPT)
- Timing of physical therapy (HYPPTTIM
To collect this information, interviewers asked, "Did you receive any of these conventional medical treatments for [condition for which hypnosis was used the most]?" and entered all treatments reported by the respondent. For each treatment reported, interviewers asked whether such treatment was received before, at about the same time, or after trying hypnosis.
For more information about the full range of variables related to hypnosis, including definitions, see HYPYR.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have received surgery for the condition they used hypnosis for the most.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT