Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2007 who had never used natural herbs (HEREV), HERNEVHC identifies those who responded, "A health care provider told me not to use it" when asked, "Please tell me the reasons why you have never used any of these natural herbs." Respondents could supply more than one reason for never having used natural herbs.
Other reasons for never using natural herbs are recorded in the following variables:
- HERNEVCOST (Too expensive)
- HERNEVKNOW (Didn't know about it)
- HERNEVPROOF (Not proven to work)
- HERNEVSAFE (Not safe)
- HERNEVTHINK (Never thought of it)
- HERNEVNEED (Not needed)
- HERNEVWORK (Doesn't work)
- HERNEVREAS (No reason)
- HERNEVOTH (Some other reason)
Although both herbal and vitamin supplements were covered in the 2007 NHIS, only in the case of herbs were survey participants asked why they never used such supplements.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have never used natural herbs.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT