Codes and Frequencies
HER1SEX indicates whether sample adults had used a first herbal supplement to improve sexual performance. Only sample adults who had taken one or more herbal supplements during the past 30 days (HERMOSUPNO) were asked their reasons for using herbal supplements.
Other reasons for using a first herbal supplement that were recorded by the survey, and the associated IPUMS NHIS variables, are:
- HER1DRUGCOST (Prescription or non-prescription drugs too expensive)
- HER1USHCREC (Health care provider recommended)
- HER1USIMMUN (Improved immune function)
- HER1USMEDCOST (Medical treatment too expensive)
- HER1USMEDFAIL (Medical treatment did not help)
- HER1MENT (Improved mental ability or memory)
- HER1PHYS (Improved physical performance)
- HER1USRELREC (Family or friends recommended)
- HER1USWELL (General wellness)
- HER1SPORT (Improved sports performance)
- HER1TREAT (Treat a disease or health problem)
- HER1PREV (Prevent a disease or health problem)
For sample adults who had taken two or more herbal supplements in the past 30 days, parallel information was recorded on their reasons for taking the second herbal supplement. (See, for example, HER2SEX.)
For information about the full range of variables related to natural herbs, including a definition of "natural herbs," see HERYR.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have taken one or more herbal supplements during the past 30 days.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT