Codes and Frequencies
For sample persons under age 18, FALLERGYEV indicates if the child ever had any kind of food or digestive allergy. The inquiry did not require the problem to be diagnosed by a doctor or health professional, and the term "allergy" was respondent-defined.
The question for FALLERGYEV was part of a series of questions on child health conditions in the 1988 Supplement on Child Health.
Along with FALLERGYEV, respondents were asked if the child ever had any of 33 conditions, and respondents could also specify up to three conditions not directly included in the inquiry.
The condition list also included:
- TONSILSEV, ever had repeated tonsilitis or enlargement of the tonsils or adenoids
- EARINFREQYR, ever had frequent ear infections
- ASTHMAEV, ever told had asthma
- ANEMIAEV, ever told anemia
- SICKLCELEV, ever told had sicle cell
- DIARRHEAYR, ever had frequent diarrhea
- BOWELNONDEV, ever had frequent diarrhea, and
- DIABETICEV, told had diabetes
From 1997 forward, the variable FALLERGYR, had food allergy in the last 12 months, is available for all sample children.
- 1988: Sample persons under age 18.
- 1988 : SAMPWEIGHT