Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults, EXFOOTBALL indicates whether the respondent had engaged in football in the past 2 weeks.
To obtain this information, interviewers first noted whether the sample adult was physically handicapped.
Interviewers were instructed by the 1995 Field Representative's Manual to
Those sample adults determined by the interviewer to be physical handicapped were asked to list the exercises, sports, or physically active hobbies they had participated in over the past 2 weeks.
Sample adults who were not determined by the interviewer to be physically handicapped were asked about each activity from a list of 22 activities in turn.
Once it was determined whether the respondent had participated in a given physical activity, whether the person had a physical handicap or not, respondents were asked follow-up questions.
For most activities, respondents were asked how many times in the past 2 weeks they had engaged in a particular activity, how many minutes on average they spent doing the activity each time, and what kind of increase (if any) the respondent had to his or her heart rate or breathing while performing the activity. For some activities (e.g., bowling), respondents were only asked how many times they had done the activity in the past 2 weeks.
The follow-up variables related to football are:
- EXFOOTBALLNO (Number of times played football, past 2 weeks)
- EXFOOTBALMIN (Duration each time played football, past 2 weeks: Minutes)
- EXFOOTBALLBR (Heart rate/breathing changes when playing football)
- 1985; 1990: Sample persons aged 18-64 except those judged physically handicapped by interviewer who didn't exercise in the past 2 weeks.
- 1991; 1998: Sample adults age 18+ except those judged physically handicapped by interviewer who didn't exercise in the past 2 weeks.
- 1995: Half of sample persons age 18+ (excluded from AIDS supplement) except those judged physically handicapped by interviewer who didn't exercise in the past 2 weeks.
- 1985, 1990-1991, 1995, 1998
- 1985, 1990-1991, 1998 : SAMPWEIGHT
- 1995 : SUPP2WT