Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had seen a practitioner for energy healing therapy during the past 12 months (EHTYR) and had told a conventional medical professional about their use of energy healing therapy (EHTLCONVHP), EHTLNURS indicates whether they had reported their use of energy healing therapy to a nurse practitioner or physician assistant.
In both 2002 and 2007, interviewers asked, "During the past 12 months, did you let any of these conventional medical professionals know about your use of energy healing therapy?" and handed the respondent a card listing several types of conventional health care practitioners. If the answer was affirmative (i.e., a "Yes" response in EHTLCONVP), interviewers asked the follow-up question, "Which ones [did you tell]?" and noted, "You may choose more than one."
In both 2002 and 2007, the list of conventional medical professionals included, along with "nurse practitioner/physician assistant":
- Medical doctor (including specialists) (EHTLMD)
- Psychiatrist (EHTLPSYCHI)
- Dentist (including specialists) (EHTLDENT)
In 2007, the list included additional categories of conventional medical professionals:
- Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.) (EHTLDO)
- Psychologist/Social Worker (EHTLPSYCHO)
- Pharmacist (EHTLPHARM)
For more information about the full range of variables related to energy healing therapy, including definitions, see EHTYR.
- 2002; 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for energy healing therapy during the past 12 months and have let a conventional medical professional know about their use of energy healing therapy.
- 2002, 2007
- 2002, 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT