Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2007 who had seen a practitioner for a special diet during the past 12 months (DITPRACYR), DITPRACALT indicates whether the practitioner seen was an "Alternate Provider such as Acupuncturist, Chiropractor, Massage Therapist, Naturopath, etc."
The survey question for DITPRACYR, which immediately preceded the question for DITPRACALT, asked whether the respondent had seen a practitioner in the past year for the diet he/she had used most (DITMOST). Respondents with a "Yes" response in DITPRACYR were then asked, "What type of practitioner did you see?" Interviewers were instructed, "Enter all that apply."
Other practitioners that respondents could report using, and the associated IPUMS NHIS variables, are:
- DITPRACMD (Medical doctor)
- DITPRACNUT (Dietician or nutritionist)
- DITPRACRN (Nurse)
- DITPRACOTH (Other practitioner)
Respondents who had seen a practitioner for special diets in the past year (DITPRACYR) were also asked these follow-up questions:
- Number of times saw practitioner for special diet (DITPRACNO)
- Amount paid per visit to practitioner for special diet (dollars) (DITPRACPAY)
For more information on the full range of variables related to special diets, including definitions, see DITATKINYR.
- 2007: Sample adults who have seen a practitioner for a special diet during the past 12 months.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT