Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had used a special diet during the past 12 months (DITATKINYR, DITMACYR, DITORNYR, DITPRITYR, DITSBYR, DITVEGYR, or DITZONYR) and had told a conventional medical professional about their use of a special diet (DITLCONVHP), DITLNURS indicates whether they had reported their use of a special diet to a nurse practitioner or physician assistant.
In both 2002 and 2007, interviewers asked, "During the past 12 months, did you let any of these conventional medical professionals know about your use of a special diet?" and handed the respondent a card listing several types of conventional health care practitioners. If the answer was affirmative (i.e., a "Yes" response in DITLCONVP), interviewers asked the follow-up question, "Which ones [did you tell]?" and noted, "You may choose more than one."
In both 2002 and 2007, the list of conventional medical professionals included, along with "nurse practitioner/physician assistant":
- Medical doctor (including specialists) (DITLMD)
- Psychiatrist (DITLPSYCHI)
- Dentist (including specialists) (DITLDENT)
In 2007, the list included additional categories of conventional medical professionals:
- Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.) (DITLDO)
- Psychologist/Social Worker (DITLPSYCHO)
- Pharmacist (DITLPHARM)
For more information about the full range of variables related to a special diet, including definitions, see DITATKINYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have used at least one of these special diets for two weeks or more for health reasons during the past 12 months and have let a conventional medical professional now about their use of these special diets.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have used a special diet during the past 12 months and have let a conventional medical professional know about their use of a special diet.
- 2002, 2007
- 2002, 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT