Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had used a special diet during the past 12 months (DITATKINYR, DITMACYR, DITORNYR, DITPRITYR, DITSBYR, DITVEGYR, or DITZONYR) and had told a conventional medical professional about their use of a special diet (DITLCONVHP), DITLMD indicates whether they had reported their a special diet use to a medical doctor (including specialists).
In both 2002 and 2007, interviewers asked, "During the past 12 months, did you let any of these conventional medical professionals know about your use of a special diet?" and handed the respondent a card listing several types of conventional health care practitioners. If the answer was affirmative (i.e., a "Yes" response in DITLCONVP), interviewers asked the follow-up question, "Which ones [did you tell]?" and noted, "You may choose more than one."
In both 2002 and 2007, the list of conventional medical practitioners included, along with "medical doctor (M.D.) (including specialists)":
- Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant (DITLNURS)
- Psychiatrist (DITLPSYCHI)
- Dentist (including specialists) (DITLDENT)
In 2007, the list included additional categories of conventional medical professionals:
- Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.) (DITLDO)
- Psychologist/Social Worker (DITLPSYCHO)
- Pharmacist (DITLPHARM)
For more information about the full range of variables related to a special diet, including definitions, see DITATKINYR.
The list of conventional medical practitioners on the card shown to respondents was shorter in 2002 than in 2007.
For example, the only type of physician listed in 2002 was "medical doctor (M.D.), (including specialists)"; in 2007, however, both "medical doctor (including specialists)" and "Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.)" were listed. Some respondents may have included osteopaths in the M.D. category in 2002, but this was probably less common in 2007, when osteopaths were accorded a separate category on the flashcard.
Researchers may wish to try combining the M.D. and D.O. categories to increase comparability for DITLMD between 2002 and 2007.
Only sample adults with a positive response in DITLCONVHP are included in the question universe for DITLMD. For discussion of comparability issues for DITLCONVHP, see the documentation for that variable.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have used at least one of these special diets for two weeks or more for health reasons during the past 12 months and have let a conventional medical professional know about their use of these special diets.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have used a special diet during the past 12 months and have let a conventional medical professional know about their use of special diets.
- 2002, 2007
- 2002, 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT