This is a 11-digit numeric variable.
DIABWT is an IPUMS NHIS-constructed variable that harmonizes chronic diabetes prevalence factors for the person-level variable DIABETICYRC for the years 1978-1981.
For 1978-1981, the survey question associated with DIABETICYRC was asked of persons living in 1/3 of households. This is a contrast with most of the chronic condition variables from that period, which were asked of persons living in 1/6 of households. (The other exception to this rule, apart from DIABETICYRC, is PARALANYNOWC.)
To account for this larger universe, a special weight must be used when analyzing DIABETICYRC for 1978-1981. For persons who received Condition List 1 or Condition List 3 (CONDLIST), DIABWT is calculated in three steps:
- First, the variable CCFACT is divided by a multiple of 10 to insert a decimal point. Because the width of CCFACT changes across years, the divisor also changes. For 1978, CCFACT is divided by 1,000,000. For 1979-1981, CCFACT is divided by 100,000,000.
- Second, the resulting quotient is multiplied by PERWEIGHT.
- Third, the resulting product is divided by 2.
Persons who did not receive Condition List 1 or Condition List 3 in 1978-1981 are considered "not in universe" (NIU) for DIABETICYRC and are given a weight of 0 in DIABWT.
Users should note that DIABETICYRC must be weighted with different weight variables in 1973 and 1975 (PERWEIGHT) and 1982-1996 (CONDWT4).
- 1978-1981: Persons living in 1/3 of households (who received Condition Lists 1 or 3).
- No weights are available for this variable. Please refer to DIABWT for more information.