Codes and Frequencies
CONGHARTEVC indicates whether the person ever had chronic congenital heart disease. This variable is created with supplemental programming by the IPUMS NHIS staff from the pre-1997 condition records. For general information about IHIS variables created from the pre-1997 condition records, such as CONGHARTEVC, see the User Note on Condition Records and Condition Variables.
Defining Congenital Heart Disease Records and Identifying Persons with Congenital Heart Disease
For all available years, persons with this condition are identified through a direct question about having congenital heart disease. For 1972-1981, a person could also have a record for this condition through an indirect question, such as the reason for a hospital stay. In 1972-1981, codes of "21" and "22" are used to identify the different sources of the information. For 1996 forward, persons who were not asked a direct question about congenital heart disease, or for whom it is unknown whether they were asked such a question, are given a code of "NIU" (not in universe), regardless of whether they have a chronic congenital heart disease record.
For 1972 and 1978, congenital heart disease records were defined as those condition records with any of the following codes in the variable DCICDCOD in the original public use files:
- "7460" (Common truncus)
- "7461" (Transposition of great vessels)
- "7462" (Tetralogy of Fallot)
- "7463" (Ventricular septal defect)
- "7464" (Atrial septal defect)
- "7465" (Ostium atrioventriculare commune)
- "7467" (Fibroelastosis cordis)
- "7468" (Other specified anomalies of heart)
- "7469" (Unspecified anomalies of heart)
These condition code values come from the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) Revision 8. Additionally, to be considered "chronic," congenital heart disease records must have a code of "1" ("Chronic") in the variable CACODE in the original NHIS public use files.
For 1979 to 1996, congenital heart disease records were defined as those condition records with any of the following codes in the variable DCICDCOD in the original public use files:
- "7450" (Common truncus)
- "7451" (Transposition of great vessels)
- "7452" (Tetralogy of Fallot)
- "7453" (Common ventricle)
- "7454" (Ventricular septal defect)
- "7455" (Ostium secundum type atrial septal defect)
- "7456" (Endocardial cushion defects)
- "7457" (Cor biloculare)
- "7458" (Other bulbus cordis anomalies and anomalies of cardiac septal closure)
- "7459" (Unspecified defect of septal closure)
- "7468" (Other specified congenital anomalies of heart)
- "7469" (Unspecified congenital anomaly of heart)
As with earlier years, these recodes were used to identify chronic conditions.
Related Congenital Heart Disease Variables
The nearest equivalent of CONGHARTEVC for 1997 forward is CONGHARTEV (Ever had congenital heart disease).
As with all of the person-level condition variables created by IHIS from condition records prior to 1997, the universe for CONGHARTEVC is substantially different for 1978 forward than it is for years prior to 1978. Beginning in 1978, only persons living in 1/6 of households, rather than all persons, were asked a direct question about ever having congenital heart disease. This change requires that different weight variables be used depending on which years of data are analyzed. See the "Description" tab for details.
Researchers should use caution when comparing prevalence estimates derived from CONGHARTEVC (pre-1997) and CONGHARTEV (post-1997), as the manner of collecting information about congenital heart disease differs over time. To compare this condition between the pre-1997 and post-1997 periods, users may want to limit their analysis to persons responding only to a direct survey question.
There is a change in the way "Yes" responses are coded over time, reflecting the change in the source of information. See the User Note on Condition Records and Condition Variables for details about the composite coding scheme employed by IHIS.
- 1972: All persons.
- 1978-1996: Persons living in 1/6 of households (who received Condition List 5).
- 1972, 1978-1996