Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who have a dizziness or balance problem, BALWKLOSEV indicates whether the balance or dizziness problem ever caused them to miss any days from work school.
In 2008, this variable was part of the Sample Adult Balance Supplement, sponsored by the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders.
The supplement consisted of a total 205 questions (some of which were only asked based on a previous response). For a further description of the Supplement and a list of topics included in it, see BALDIZYR
Many other variables which indicate changes in participation (or cutting back) in activities due to balance problems are included in the 2008 Supplement.
- bathing, dressing, eating, or using the toilet themselves (BALEFADL)
- exercising or taking walks (BALEFEXER)
- walking down a flight of stairs (BALEFDSTAIR)
- walking up a flight of stairs (BALEFUSTAIR)
- participating in social activities (BALEFSOCIAL)
- driving a motor vehicle (BALEFDRIV)
- standing or being on their feet for 30 minutes or longer (BALEFSTAND)
- shopping, movies, sporting or other events (BALEFSHOP)
- riding in a car, bus, airplane, boat or train (BALEFRIDE)
- work or school (BALEFWORK)
- 2008: Sample adults age 18+ who have had symptoms of dizziness or at least one balance problem.
- 2008 : SAMPWEIGHT