Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had seen a practitioner for ayurveda during the past 12 months (AYUYR) and who had used ayurveda for a specific health problem (AYUTREAT), AYUSURG identifies those who had also received surgery for the condition for which they most used ayurveda (AYUTCONMOST).
For persons who had received such surgery (i.e., those with a "yes" response in AYUSURG), the complementary variable AYUSURGTIM indicates whether they received such surgery before, at about the same time, or after trying ayurveda.
The survey question for AYUSURG also collected information about the use of other conventional medical treatments (or no conventional treatment) for the condition for which ayurveda was used the most, including:
- Mental health counseling (AYUCOUN)
- Prescription medications (AYUPMED)
- Over-the-counter medications (AYUNPMED)
- Physical therapy (AYUPT)
- No conventional treatment (AYUNOCONV)
Interviewers asked, "Did you receive any of these conventional medical treatments for [condition for which ayurveda was used the most]?" and entered all treatments reported by the respondent.
For more information about the full range of variables related to ayurveda, including definitions, see AYUYR.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for ayurveda during the past 12 months and have used ayurveda for a specific health problem or condition.
- No weights are available for this variable. Please refer to AYUSURG for more information.