Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had seen a practitioner for ayurveda during the past 12 months (AYUYR) and who had used ayurveda for a specific health problem (AYUTREAT), AYUNPMED identifies those who had also taken over-the-counter medications for the condition for which they most used ayurveda (AYUTCONMOST).
For persons who had taken such over-the-counter medications (i.e., those with a "yes" response in AYUNPMED), the complementary variable AYUNPMEDTIM indicates whether they took such non-prescription medications before, at about the same time, or after trying ayurveda.
The survey question for AYUNPMED also collected information about the use of other conventional medical treatments (or no conventional treatment) for the condition for which ayurveda was used the most, including:
- Mental health counseling (AYUCOUN)
- Prescription medications (AYUPMED)
- Surgery (AYUSURG)
- Physical therapy (AYUPT)
- No conventional treatment (AYUNOCONV)
Interviewers asked, "Did you receive any of these conventional medical treatments for [condition for which ayurveda was used the most]?" and entered all treatments reported by the respondent.
For more information about the full range of variables related to ayurveda, including definitions, see AYUYR.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for ayurveda during the past 12 months and have used ayurveda for a specific health problem or condition.
- No weights are available for this variable. Please refer to AYUNPMED for more information.