Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who have not had a drink in the past 12 months (ALCANYNO is zero or ALCAMT is zero), ALC1YR indicates whether the person had at least 12 drinks of any type of alcoholic beverage in any single year of his or her life.
Beginning in 2020, ALC1YR is collected as part of the rotating core of NHIS alcohol use questions, fielded every other year. For more information about the NHIS alcohol use rotating core, please see ALCDRINKEV.
Changes in universe or data collection affect comparability between samples. In 1983, 1985, and 1990, this question was asked only of persons who previously indicated that they had at least 12 drinks in their entire lives. In 1988 the universe was further narrowed to persons who had at least 12 drinks in their entire lives but fewer than 12 drinks in the past year. From 1997-2018, the question was asked of all sample adults. Beginning in 2020, this question was asked of sample adults who had not had any alcoholic drinks in the past year.
Questionnaire design changes introduced in 2019 limit comparability with earlier years. The NHIS questionnaire was substantially redesigned in 2019 to introduce a different data collection structure and new content. For more information on changes in terminology, universes, and data collection methods beginning in 2019, please see the user note.
- 1983; 1985; 1990: Sample persons age 18+ who had at least 12 alcoholic drinks in their entire lives.
- 1988: Sample persons age 18+ who had at least 12 alcoholic drinks in their entire lives and did not have 12 alcoholic drinks in the past 12 months.
- 1997-2018: Sample adults age 18+.
- 2020: Sample adults 18+ who have not had a drink in the past 12 months (ALCANYNO is zero or ALCAMT is zero).
- 1983, 1985, 1988, 1990, 1997-2018, 2020