Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had practiced yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong during the past 12 months (YTQYOGYR, YTQTAIYR, or YTQIGYR) and had used yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong for a specific health problem or condition (YTQTREAT), YTQUSINTER indicates whether they had practiced yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong because "you thought it would be interesting to try."
Other reasons for practicing yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong that were recorded by the survey, and the associated IPUMS NHIS variables, are:
- YTQUSHCREC (Health care provider recommended)
- YTQUSENERGY (Enhanced energy)
- YTQUSWELL (General wellness)
- YTQUSMEDCOST (Medical treatments expensive)
- YTQUSMEDFAIL (Medical treatment not help)
- YTQUSCOMBO (Helps combined w. conventional med)
- YTQUSIMMUN (Improved immune function)
- YTQUSRELREC (Family or friends recommended)
For information about the full range of variables related to acupuncture, including definitions, see YTQYOGYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have practiced yoga, tai chi, or qi gong for their health during the past 12 months and have used one of these practices for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT