Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults age 18+ in 2007 and sample children under 18 in 2007 who had practiced yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong in the past 12 months (YTQYOGYR, YTQTAIYR, or YTQIGYR) and had used yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong to treat a specific health problem or condition (YTQTREAT), YTQTOMUSC indicates whether the person had used yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong to treat other musculoskeletal problem.
Other musculoskeletal problems was one of 31 possible specific conditions that both sample adults and sample children could report treating with yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong.
The other such conditions such are:
- Attention Deficit Disorder (YTQTADD, 2007 only)
- anxiety (YTQTANX, 2007 only)
- arthritis (YTQTARTH, 2007 only)
- asthma (YTQTASTH)
- autism (YTQTAUT, 2007 only)
- cancer (YTQTCANC)
- head or chest cold (YTQTCOLD)
- constipation needing medication (YTQTCONST, 2007 only)
- depression (YTQTDEPRES, 2007 only)
- diabetes (YTQTDIAB)
- allergy to food (YTQTFALL)
- influenza or pneumonia (YTQTFLU, 2007 only)
- gum disease (YTQTGUM, 2007 only)
- hay fever (YTQTHAY)
- hearing problem (YTQTHEAR)
- insomnia (YTQTINSOM)
- menstrual problems (YTQTMENST)
- migraine or severe headache (YTQTMIG)
- other developmental problem (YTQTODD)
- other lung or breathing problem (YTQTOLUNG)
- phobias (YTQTPHOBIA, 2007 only)
- acid reflux (YTQTREFLUX, 2007 only)
- regular headaches (YTQTREGHEAD, 2007 only)
- mental retardation (YTQTRET)
- seizures (YTQTSEIZ)
- sinusitis (YTQTSINUS)
- urinary problem (YTQTURIN)
- vision problem (YTQTVISION)
- weight problem (YTQTWEIGHT)
- other (YTQTOTH1)
Additionally, there are 72 other conditions sample adults only could report treating with yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong, and 28 other conditions that could be reported for sample children only. For the full list of conditions, see YTQTREAT.
Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong is one of 16 modalities of alternative medicine that were included in the 2002 and 2007 Alternative Health Supplements. Persons could report treating other musculoskeletal problem by 15 of those methods. (The omitted alternative method is prayer, which was included as a treatment for specific health problems in the 2002 survey only. See PRASELFEV for more information.) Analysts interested in the treatment of other musculoskeletal problem by other alternative therapies should see YTQYOGYR for the full list of alternative medicine treatments and a summary of other questions related to yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong, as well as definitions.
This variable is only available for 2007. However, the questions wording differs slightly between sample adults and sample children.
Sample adults were asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use yoga/Tai chi/Qi gong?"
The question wording for sample children emphasizes that the practice of yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong must have occurred within the past 12 months.
For sample children, interviewers asked, "DURING THE PAST 12 MONTHS, for what health problems or conditions did [fill: sample child's name] use yoga/Tai chi/Qi gong?" This difference in question wording is minimized, however, because the questions for sample adults preceding YTQTOMUSC (YTQYOGYR, YTQTAIYR, or YTQIGYR and YTQNO) did specify the 12 month time frame. Persons were only asked the question for YTQTOMUSC if they had earlier indicated that they had in fact practiced yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong during the past 12 months.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ and sample children under 18 who have practiced yoga, tai chi, or qi gong during the past 12 months and have used one of these practices for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT