Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who are able to walk (LAWALKCLIMDIF), WALKTRAN indicates if they walked for transportation in the past seven days. Prior to 2020, WALKTRAN was asked of all sample adults.
Sample persons who gave affirmative answers to WALKTRAN were asked follow-up questions to determine the extent of their walking for transportation.
- WALKTRANDAY: Number of days walked for transportation, past 7 days
- WALKTRANNO: Duration walking for transportation: Number of units
- WALKTRANTP: Duration walking for transportation: Time period
- WALKTRANX: Times walked for transportation during past 7 days
- WALKTRANTPD: Average number of times walked for transportation per day, past 7 days
- WALKTRANTC: Average length of walk for transportation: Minutes
While the basic meaning of this variable is completely comparable over time, major questionnaire changes introduced in 2019 and changes in the universe may affect comparability with earlier years. The NHIS questionnaire was substantially redesigned in 2019 to introduce a different data collection structure and new content. For more information on changes in terminology, universes, and data collection methods beginning in 2019, please see the user note.
- 2005; 2010; 2015: Sample adults age 18+.
- 2020: Sample adults age 18+ who are able to walk (LAWALKCLIMDIF).
- 2005, 2010, 2015, 2020
- 2005, 2010, 2015, 2020 : SAMPWEIGHT