Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults age 18 and older, LAWALKCLIMDIF reports the level of difficulty she/he faces when walking or climbing steps.
This variable was first introduced in 2010 as part of the Quality of Life supplement and was included in that supplement through 2017. Beginning in 2018, this item was included on the sample adult questionnaire.
Changes in survey design before 2019 (e.g., quarters in which the supplement was collected) may affect raw frequencies, but do not affect comparability of the variable. In 2018, this item was included on the sample adult questionnaire.
Questionnaire design changes introduced in 2019 limit comparability with earlier years. The NHIS questionnaire was substantially redesigned in 2019 to introduce a different data collection structure and new content. For more information on changes in terminology, universes, and data collection methods beginning in 2019, please see the user note.
As always, data users should use the prescribed IPUMS NHIS weights.
- 2010: One quarter of sample adults, included in quality of life supplement (and excluded from family disability supplement).
- 2011: Sample adults 18+ who were selected to receive the Family Disability questions (FDB).
- 2012-2017: Sample adults 18+ who were asked the family disability questions (FDB) and were randomly selected to receive the Functioning and Disability (AFD) section
- 2018: Sample adults age 18+.
- 2019-2022: Sample adults age 18+.