Codes and Frequencies
VIT1SPORT indicates whether sample adults had used a first vitamin supplement to improve sports performance. Only sample adults who had taken one or more vitamin supplements during the past 30 days (VITMOSUPNO) were asked their reasons for using vitamin supplements.
Other reasons for using a first vitamin supplement that were recorded by the survey, and the associated IPUMS NHIS variables, are:
- VIT1DRUGCOST (Prescription or non-prescription drugs too expensive)
- VIT1HCREC (Health care provider recommended)
- VIT1IMMUN (Improved immune function)
- VIT1MEDCOST (Medical treatment too expensive)
- VIT1MEDFAIL (Medical treatment did not help)
- VIT1MENT (Improved mental ability or memory)
- VIT1PHYS (Improved physical performance)
- VIT1RELREC (Family or friends recommended)
- VIT1SEX (Improved sexual performance)
- VIT1WELL (General wellness)
- VIT1TREAT (Treat a disease or health problem)
- VIT1PREV (Prevent a disease or health problem)
For sample adults who had taken two or more vitamin supplements in the past 30 days, parallel information was recorded on their reasons for taking the second vitamin supplement. (See, for example, VIT2SPORT.)
For information about the full range of variables related to vitamins, see VITANY and VITMO.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have taken one or more vitamin supplements during the past 30 days.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT