Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had been bothered by ringing, roaring, or buzzing in their ears or head in the previous 12 months (TINYR), TINTREAT indicates whether the respondent had ever tried any remedies or treatments for the problem.
Interviewers asked, "Have you ever tried any remedies or treatments for this ringing, roaring, or buzzing in your ears or head?" Those with an affirmative response were asked which treatments they had tried. Interviewers handed respondents a card listing 14 specific treatments plus an "other" category prefaced with, "You may choose more than one."
The variables in 2007 associated with possible tinnitus treatments include:
- TINTAMP Amplification/Hearing aids
- TINTWEAR Masking with wearable device (with or without hearing aids)
- TINTNOWEAR Masking with non-wearable device (sound generators to help with sleep)
- TINTCOG Cognitive therapy with counseling
- TINTSTRESS Stress reduction or relaxation methods
- TINTBIOF Biofeedback
- TINTTRT Tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT)
- TINTPSYCH Psychiatric treatment
- TINTSURG Surgery to cut the hearing nerve
- TINTDRUG Drugs or medications
- TINTNUTRIT Nutritional supplements
- TINTMUSIC Music therapy
- TINTTMJ Temporal mandibular joint treatment
- TINTCAM Alternative methods (hypnosis, acupuncture, etc.)
- TINTOTHER Other
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have been bothered by ringing, roaring, or buzzing in their ears or head in the past 12 months.
- No weights are available for this variable. Please refer to TINTREAT for more information.