Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had discussed being bothered by ringing, roaring, or buzzing in their ears or head in the past 12 months (TINYR), and who had ever tried any remedies for this problem (TINTREAT), TINTNUTRIT indicates whether the respondent had ever tried nutritional supplements for the problem.
After inquiring as to whether respondents had tried any remedies, interviewers asked, "Which of the following treatments have you tried?" "Nutritional supplements" was one of 15 specific remedies (including "other") listed on a card that interviewers handed to respondents with an affirmative response in TINTREAT. The card prefaced the choices with, "You may choose more than one." The survey form directed interviewers to, "enter all that apply."
Other variables in 2007 associated with possible tinnitus treatments include:
- TINTAMP Amplification or hearing aids
- TINTNOWEAR Masking with non-wearable device (sound generators to help with sleep)
- TINTCOG Cognitive therapy with counseling
- TINTSTRESS Stress reduction or relaxation methods
- TINTBIOF Biofeedback
- TINTTRT Tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT)
- TINTPSYCH Psychiatric treatment
- TINTSURG Surgery to cut the hearing nerve
- TINTDRUG Drugs or medications
- TINTWEAR Masking with wearable device (with or without hearing aids)
- TINTMUSIC Music therapy
- TINTTMJ Temporal mandibular joint treatment
- TINTCAM Alternative methods (hypnosis, acupuncture, etc.)
- TINTOTHER Other
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have tried remedies or treatments for ringing, roaring, or buzzing in their ears or head.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT