Codes and Frequencies
For persons age 18 and over SCFBICIBSEV indicates if respondents ever had any of four conditions: a spastic colon, functional bowel, irritable colon, or irritable bowel syndrome. Respondents who answered affirmatively were then asked to specify which one(s) or could identify another similar condition (OSBCONEV, ever had similar bowel condition). These terms were all respondent-defined.
The Supplement on Digestive Disorders had 3 sections. The first section asked about specific conditions , such gallstones, ulcers or colon or bowel conditions, as well as treatment of these conditions. The second section in the Digestive Disorder Supplement asked about abdominal pain (such as ABPAIN3XYR, had abdominal pain 3 or more times, past 12 months). The third was on normative bowel functions, which such as ABGASTRUBYR, had trouble with abdominal gas in the past 12 months.
Variables for these other specific conditions are included in the 1989 survey.
- IRCOLEV ever had an irritable colon
- SPASCEV ever had spastic colon
- BOWELIRREV ever had irritable bowel syndrome
- BOWELFUNEV ever had had functional bowel
Variables for these other conditions include:
- GALSEV ever had gallstones
- GALBT ever had other (non-gallstone) gallbladder trouble
- DIVEV ever had diverticulitis
- ULCEREV ever had an ulcer
- 1989: Sample persons age 18+.
- 1989 : SUPP2WT