Codes and Frequencies
For persons age 18 and over SPASCEV indicates if respondents ever had a spastic colon. Respondents were asked if they ever had a spastic colon, functional bowel, irritable colon, or irritable bowel syndrome, and then asked to specify which one(s); or they could specify a "similar condition" and the response was recorded verbatim. These terms were respondent defined.
SPASCEV was part of the 1989 survey Supplement on Digestive Disorders which had 3 sections. The first section asked about specific conditions , such as gallstones, ulcers or colon or bowel conditions, as well as treatment of these conditions.
The second section in the Digestive Disorder Supplement asked about abdominal pain (such as ABPAIN3XYR, had abdominal pain 3 or more times, past 12 months). The third was on normative bowel functions, which such as ABGASTRUBYR, had trouble with abdominal gas in the past 12 months.
Variables for these other conditions are included in the 1989 survey.
- GALSEV ever had gallstones
- GALBT ever had other (non-gallstone) gallbladder trouble
- DIVEV ever had diverticulitis
- ULCEREV ever had an ulcer
- OSBCONEV ever had a similar bowel condition
- IRCOLEV ever had an irritable colon
- BOWELIRREV ever had irritable bowel syndrome
- BOWELFUNEV ever had functional bowel
- 1989: Sample persons age 18+ who ever had spastic colon, functional bowel, irritable colon, or irritable bowel syndrome.
- 1989 : SUPP2WT