Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2007 who had used at least one relaxation technique (see below) during the past 12 months, RELMOST reports the type of relaxation technique the respondent had used most often.
Sample adults indicated whether they had used any of the following relaxation techniques during the past year:
- Meditation (RELMEDYR)
- Guided imagery (RELGIMYR)
- Progressive relaxation (RELRELAXYR)
- Deep breathing exercises (RELBRETHYR)
- Support group meeting (RELSUPYR)
- Stress management class (RELSTRESYR)
Because respondents could report having used more than one relaxation technique during the past year, RELMOST identifies which of the 6 relaxation techniques the respondent had used most often. Interviewers were given the instruction, "If respondent cannot choose one relaxation technique, probe for the one most important for health."
The relaxation technique identified in RELMOST is used to fill in question wording on many subsequent survey items. For example, RELTREAT asks, "Did you use [fill: relaxation technique used most] for a specific health problem or condition?"
For more information on the full range of variables related to relaxation techniques, including definitions, see RELMEDYR.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have used at least one relaxation technique during the past 12 months.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT