Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had used a relaxation technique during the past 12 months (RELBRETHYR, RELGIMYR, RELMEDYR, RELRELAXYR, RELSTRESYR, or RELSUPYR) and had told a conventional medical professional about their use of a relaxation technique (RELLCONVHP), RELLDENT indicates whether they had reported their use of a relaxation technique to a dentist or dental specialist.
In both 2002 and 2007, interviewers asked, "During the past 12 months, did you let any of these conventional medical professionals know about your use of a relaxation technique?" and handed the respondent a card listing several types of conventional health care practitioners. If the answer was affirmative (i.e., a "Yes" response in RELLCONVP), interviewers asked the follow-up question, "Which ones [did you tell]?" and noted, "You may choose more than one."
In both 2002 and 2007, the list of conventional medical professionals included, along with "dentist (including specialists)":
- Medical doctor (including specialists) (RELLMD)
- Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant (RELLNURS)
- Psychiatrist (RELLPSYCHI)
In 2007, the list included additional categories of conventional medical professionals:
- Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.) (RELLDO)
- Psychologist/Social Worker (RELLPSYCHO)
- Pharmacist (RELLPHARM)
For more information about the full range of variables related to a relaxation technique, including definitions, see RELMEDYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have used a relaxation technique for their health during the past 12 months and have let a conventional medical professional know about their use of relaxation techniques.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have used a relaxation technique during the past 12 months and have let a conventional medical professional know about their use of relaxation techniques.
- 2002, 2007
- 2002, 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT