PAPLDYR is a 4-digit-numeric variable.
0: Not in universe
9996: Time period format
9998: Unknown-not ascertained
9999: Unknown-don't know
For female sample persons aged 18 and over who have ever had a Pap smear test, PAPLDYR reports the year of the respondent's most recent Pap smear test. PAPLDYR should be used alongside PAPLDMO, the corresponding month of respondent's most recent Pap smear test.
Please refer to PAPEV for more information on variables covering Pap smear receipt.
Apart from changes in the universe, there are no comparability issues. Changes in survey design (e.g., quarters in which the information was collected) may affect raw frequencies, but do not affect comparability of the variable. As always, data users should use the prescribed IPUMS NHIS weights.
- 1987: Half of female sample persons age 18+ (excluded from CAEP supplement) who have ever heard of Pap smear test and who ever had a Pap smear test.
- 1992: Half of female sample persons age 18+ in quarters 1 and 2, and in 2 weeks of quarter 3 (excluded from CAEP supplement) who ever had a Pap smear test.
- 2000; 2003; 2005; 2008; 2010; 2013; 2015; 2018: Female sample adults age 18+ who ever had a Pap smear test.
- 1987, 1992, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2018
- 1987, 1992, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2018 : SAMPWEIGHT