Codes and Frequencies
For sample persons ages 18 and over, KIDS1017 reports if the person has any children aged 10-17. Please see the Comparability tab for a discussion of changes in the universe.
In 1998 only, this variable was only asked of sample persons ages 25 and older.
Changes in survey design (e.g., quarters in which the supplement was collected) may affect raw frequencies, but do not affect comparability of the variable. As always, data users should use the prescribed IPUMS NHIS weights.
- 1987: Sample persons age 18+ in quarters 3 and 4 who reported when saw/heard/read something about AIDS or who ever heard of AIDS.
- 1988: Sample persons age 18+ in quarters 2,3 and 4
- 1989-1991: Sample persons age 18+.
- 1992: Half of sample persons age 18+.
- 1993: Half of sample persons age 18+ in quarters 3 and 4 (excluded from Y2K supplement).
- 1994-1995: Half of sample persons age 18+ (excluded from Y2K supplement).
- 1998: Sample adults age 25+.
- 1987-1995, 1998