Codes and Frequencies
For sample adult women aged, HYSTEV reports whether the respondent has had a hysterectomy.
HYSTEV was first introduced in 1991, as part of a supplement on health promotion and disease prevention. Beginning in 2019, BSTHEV is collected every other year as part of a rotating core set of NHIS survey content covering preventive screening services. For more information about other cervical cancer screening variables included as part of the preventive services rotating core content, please see the CRVTSTEV description.
This variable is comparable for 1991-1998 and 2000-2018. Comparability between 2018 and earlier years and 2019-forward may be impacted by the questionnaire redesign introduced in 2019. The NHIS questionnaire was substantially redesigned in 2019 to introduce a different data collection structure and new content. For more information on changes in terminology, universes, and data collection methods beginning in 2019, please see the user note.
Beginning in 2021, NCHS edited "yes" values for HYSTEV to include women who gave "had hysterectomy" as the reason they had not had a cervical cancer screening in the past 5 years (CRVTSTNOT = 8). To better compare responses for 2019 and 2021, users can similarly edit "yes" responses to HYSTEV in 2019 to include these women. Changes in survey design (e.g., quarters in which the supplement was collected) may affect raw frequencies, but do not affect comparability of the variable. As always, data users should use the prescribed IPUMS NHIS weights in their analyses.
The universe in 1999 is not comparable to other survey years (see the Universe tab for details). As a result, researchers should use caution in making comparisons between 1999 and any other year.
- 1991: Female sample persons age 18+.
- 1993: Half of sample persons age 18+ in quarters 3 and 4 (excluded from AIDS supplement).
- 1994: Half of sample persons age 18+ (excluded from AIDS supplement).
- 1998; 2000; 2005; 2008; 2010; 2013; 2015; 2018: Female sample adults age 18+.
- 1999: Female sample adults who have not had a menstrual period in the past 3 or 12 months or who have never had a menstrual period or who had an unknown response for whether they had a period in the past 3 or 12 months AND who are age 18 to 49 and not pregnant.
- 2019; 2021: Female sample adults age 18+.
- 1991, 1993-1994, 1998-2000, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2018-2019, 2021