Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults age 18+ and sample children under 18 in 2007 who had seen a practitioner for hypnosis in the past 12 months (HYPYR) and had used hypnosis to treat a specific health problem or condition (HYPTREAT), HYPTGUM indicates whether the person had used hypnosis to gum disease.
Gum disease was one of 30 possible specific conditions that both sample adults and sample children could report treating with hypnosis.
The other such conditions such are:
- attention deficit disorder (HYPTADD, 2007 only)
- anxiety (HYPTANX, 2007 only)
- asthma (HYPTASTH, 2007 only)
- arthritis (HYPTARTH, 2007 only)
- autism(HYPTAUT, 2007 only)
- cancer (HYPTCANC, 2007 only)
- head or chest cold (HYPTCOLD, 2007 only)
- constipation needing medication (HYPTCONST, 2007 only)
- depression (HYPTDEPRES, 2007 only)
- diabetes (HYPTDIAB, 2007 only)
- influenza or pneumonia (HYPTFLU, 2007 only)
- hay fever (HYPTHAY, 2007 only)
- hearing problem (HYPTHEAR, 2007 only)
- insomnia (HYPTINSOM, 2007 only)
- menstrual problems (HYPTMENST, 2007 only)
- migraine or severe headache (HYPTMIG, 2007 only)
- other developmental problem (HYPTODD, 2007 only)
- other lung or breathing problem (HYPTOLUNG, 2007 only)
- other musculoskeletal problem (HYPTOMUSC, 2007 only)
- phobias (HYPTPHOBIA, 2007 only)
- acid reflux (HYPTREFLUX, 2007 only)
- regular headaches (HYPTREGHEAD, 2007 only)
- mental retardation (HYPTRET, 2007 only)
- seizures (HYPTSEIZ, 2007 only)
- sinusitis (HYPTSINUS, 2007 only)
- urinary problem (HYPTURIN, 2007 only)
- vision problem (HYPTVISION, 2007 only)
- weight problem (HYPTWEIGHT, 2007 only)
- other (HYPTOTH1, 2007 only)
Additionally, there are 57 other conditions sample adults only could report treating with hypnosis, and 29 other conditions that could be reported for sample children only. For the full list of conditions, see HYPTREAT.
Hypnosis is one of 16 modalities of alternative medicine that were included in the 2002 and 2007 Alternative Health Supplements. In both 2002 and 2007, information about hypnosis was collected on many topics (such as the cost of treatment); however, only the 2007 survey included questions about using hypnosis to treat a standard list of specific conditions. (See HYPYR for more information.)
Persons could report treating gum disease by 15 of the 16 alternative health modalities. The omitted alternative treatment is prayer, which was included as a treatment for specific health problems in the 2002 survey only; however, gum disease was not a specific conditions recognized in 2002. (See PRASELFEV for more information about the treatment of specific conditions by prayer.) Analysts interested in the treatment of gum disease by alternative therapies other than hypnosis should see HYPYR for the full list of alternative medicine treatments, as well as for a summary of other hypnosis-related questions and definitions.
HYPTGUM is only available for 2007. Survey participants were not asked about using hypnosis to treat most specific health conditions in 2002, and gum disease was not a condition covered by the CAM supplement in 2002.
In 2007, the question wording differs slightly between sample adults and sample children.
Sample adults were asked, "Did you use hypnosis for a specific health problem or condition?" The question wording for sample children emphasizes that the hypnosis must have occurred within the past 12 months: "During the past 12 months, did [fill: sample child's name] use hypnosis for a specific health problem or condition?" This difference in question wording is minimized, however, because two of the questions for sample adults preceding HYPTGUM (HYPYR and HYPNO) did specify the 12 month time frame. Persons were only asked the question for HYPTGUM if they had earlier indicated in HYPYR that they had seen a practitioner for hypnosis during the past 12 months.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ and sample children under 18 who have seen a practitioner for hypnosis during the past 12 months and have used hypnosis for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT