Codes and Frequencies
For all persons, HINONE reports whether the person did not currently have any health insurance coverage. Interviewers handed persons a card with categories of insurance types listed on it, as well as the category of "no coverage of any type." HINONE indicates the person chose this latter category.
Users are strongly encouraged to review the user notes Insurance Data Collection for changes in the response categories listed on the card.
1997 forward interviewers first asked, "Are you covered by health insurance or some other kind of health care plan?" and individuals who had an affirmative responses were asked, "What kind of health insurance or health care coverage do you have?" Respondents selected the appropriate response from a card listing various types of insurance coverage:
- Private health insurance (2004 forward)
- Private health insurance plan from employer or workplace (1997-2003)
- Private health insurance plan purchased directly (1997-2003)
- Private health insurance plan through a state or local government program or community program (1998-2003)
- Medicare (1997 forward)
- Medi-Gap (1997 forward)
- Medicaid (1997 forward)
- CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program) (1999 forward)
- Military Health Care/VA (1997-2003)
- Military Health Care (CHAMPUS/TRICARE/CHAMP-VA) (1997 forward)
- Indian Health Service (1997 forward)
- State-sponsored health plan (1997 forward)
- Other government program (1997 forward)
- Single Service Plan (e.g., dental, vision, prescriptions) (1999 forward)
- No coverage of any type (2000 forward)
Respondents could pick more than one type of insurance and interviewers were instructed to mark all that applied.
- 2000-2013; 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018: All persons.
- 2000-2018 : PERWEIGHT