Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had used natural herbs for their health (2002) or had used herbal supplements (2007) during the past 12 months (HERYR) and had told a conventional medical professional about their use of herbs (HERYLCONVHP), HERYLNURS indicates whether they had reported their herb use to a nurse practitioner or physician assistant.
Data Collection and Related Variables
In 2002, interviewers asked, "During the past 12 months, did you let any of these conventional medical professionals know about your use of natural herbs?" In 2007, the question was nearly identical but referred to "herbs" rather than "natural herbs." In both years, the interviewer then handed the respondent a card listing several types of conventional health care practitioners. If the answer was affirmative (i.e., a "Yes" response in HERYLCONVHP), interviewers asked the follow-up question, "Which ones [did you tell]?" and noted, "You may choose more than one."
In both 2002 and 2007, the list of conventional medical professionals included, along with "nurse practitioner/physician assistant":
- Medical doctor (including specialists) (HERYLMD)
- Psychiatrist (HERYLPSYCHI)
- Dentist (including specialists) (HERYLDENT)
In 2007, the list included additional categories of conventional medical professionals:
- Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.) (HERLDO)
- Psychologist/Social Worker (HERLPSYCHO)
- Pharmacist (HERLPHARM)
For more information about the full range of variables related to natural herbs, including a definition of "natural herbs," see HERYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who used natural herbs for their health during the past 12 months and have let a conventional medical professional know about their use of natural herbs.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have used herbal supplements during the past 12 months and have let a conventional medical professional know about their use of herbs.
- 2002, 2007
- 2002, 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT