Codes and Frequencies
HAPPY30 reports responses by sample adults to the question, "During the past 30 days, how often did you feel happy?" Interviewers preceded this question with the statement, "I have another question about feelings you may have experienced over the past 30 days" and handed respondents a flashcard with the following choices: "all of the time," "most of the time," "some of the time," "a little of the time," "none of the time."
The question for HAPPY30 was one of a series included in the National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) as part of the Healthy People 2010 initiative. Other variables used to track different aspects of social support for the Healthy People 2010 initiative and included in the 2001 NHIS are:
- How often get emotional support (EMOSUPPORT)
- How satisfied with life (SATISFIED)
- Got together socially with friends or neighbors, past 2 weeks (SAWFRIEND
- Talked with friends or neighbors on the telephone, past 2 weeks (CALLFRIEND)
- Got together with any relatives with whom they did not live, past 2 weeks (SAWRELS)
- Talked on the telephone with any relatives with whom they did not live, past 2 weeks (CALLRELS)
- Went to church, temple, or another place for services or other activities, past 2 weeks (WORSHIP)
- Went to a show, movie, sports event, club meeting, class or other group event, past 2 weeks (GROUPEVENT)
- Went out to eat at a restaurant, past 2 weeks (ATEOUT)
- 2001: Sample adults age 18+.
- 2001 : SAMPWEIGHT