Codes and Frequencies
ATEOUT identifies sample adults who went "out to eat at a restaurant" during the past 2 weeks. Interviewers preceded this question with the statement, "The next questions are about various activities you may have participated in."
The question for ATEOUT is one of a series included in the NHIS as part of the Healthy People 2010 initiative. To address 2010 Healthy People Objectives related to social support, the NHIS also collected information on whether sample adults participated in the following other activities during the past 2 weeks:
- Got together socially with friends or neighbors (SAWFRIEND)
- Talked with friends or neighbors on the telephone (CALLFRIEND)
- Got together with any relatives with whom they did not live (SAWRELS)
- Talked on the telephone with any relatives with whom they did not live (CALLRELS)
- Went to church, temple, or another place of worship for services or other activities (WORSHIP)
- Went to a show, movie, sports event, club meeting, class or other group event (GROUPEVENT)
Other variables used to track different aspects of social support for the Healthy People 2010 initiative, and included in the 2001 NHIS, are:
- How often get emotional support (EMOSUPPORT)
- How satisfied with life (SATISFIED)
- How often felt happy, past 30 days (HAPPY30)
- 2001: Sample adults age 18+.
- 2001 : SAMPWEIGHT