Codes and Frequencies
HAKARM reports responses to a question about whether "[p]ain or discomfort in the arms or shoulder" is a symptom "that someone may be having a heart attack." Interviewers read a list of symptoms and asked respondents to answer "yes" or "no" to whether each was a symptom of a heart attack. These symptoms included (besides HAKARM):
- Pain or discomfort in the jaw, neck, or back (HAKJAW)
- Feeling weak, lightheaded or faint (HAKWEAK)
- Chest pain or discomfort (HAKCHEST)
- Shortness of breath (HAKBREATH)
The Mayo Clinic website mentions all of the symptoms listed above as "typical heart attack symptoms."
A related heart attack knowledge variable includes HAKBEST (Best thing to do for person having a heart attack).
- 2001; 2008; 2014; 2017: Sample adults age 18+.
- 2001, 2008, 2014, 2017
- 2001, 2008, 2014, 2017 : SAMPWEIGHT