Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who kept only one firearm at home (GUNNO), GUNKIND reports the type of firearm.
Interviewers introduced the questions on firearm safety by stating, "The next questions are about safety and firearms. Firearms include pistols, shotguns, rifles, and other types of guns. Do not include guns that cannot fire, starter pistols, or BB guns." The survey form also directed interviewers to read if necessary: "Sometimes the use of firearms can lead to injury, which is a health problem."
After establishing that only one gun was kept in the home, interviewers asked, "What kind of firearm is it?" The survey form instructed interviewers to only mark one of the following choices:
- Handgun, including pistol or revolver
- Other - Specify
Other variables derived from this question include:
- see GUNANYRIFLE Kinds of firearms (all firearms): Rifle
- see GUNANYSHOT Kinds of firearms (all firearms): Shotguns
- seeGUNANYHAND Kinds of firearms (all firearms): Handgun
- seeGUNANYOTH Kinds of firearms (all firearms): other gun
If individuals indicated they had more than one firearm at home (GUNNO), the following variables were used to report the kinds of firearms the respondent had at home:
- GUN2RIFLE Rifle kept around home (GT 1 firearm)
- GUN2SHOT Shotgun kept around home (GT 1 firearm)
- GUN2HAND Handgun kept around home (GT 1 firearm)
- GUN2OTHER Other kept around home (GT 1 firearm)
- 1994: Half of sample persons age 18+ (excluded from AIDS supplement) who keep firearms in or around home and own one firearm.
- 1994 : SUPP2WT