Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had used folk medicine (FOKYR) in (2002) or a traditional healer (FOKBOTANYR, FOKCURANYR, FOKESPIRYR, FOKNAMYR, FOKSHAMYR, FOKSOBADYR, or FOKYERBYR) (for 2007) during the past 12 months and had told a conventional medical professional about their use of folk medicine or a traditional healer (FOKLCONVHP), FOKLMD indicates whether they had reported their folk medicine or a traditional healer use to a medical doctor (including specialists).
In both 2002 and 2007, interviewers asked, "During the past 12 months, did you let any of these conventional medical professionals know about your use of folk medicine or a traditional healer?" and handed the respondent a card listing several types of conventional health care practitioners. If the answer was affirmative (i.e., a "Yes" response in FOKLCONVP), interviewers asked the follow-up question, "Which ones [did you tell]?" and noted, "You may choose more than one."
In both 2002 and 2007, the list of conventional medical practitioners included, along with "medical doctor (M.D.) (including specialists)":
- Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant (FOKLNURS)
- Psychiatrist (FOKLPSYCHI)
- Dentist (including specialists) (FOKLDENT)
In 2007, the list included additional categories of conventional medical professionals:
- Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.) (FOKLDO)
- Psychologist/Social Worker (FOKLPSYCHO)
- Pharmacist (FOKLPHARM)
For more information about the full range of variables related to folk medicine or a traditional healer, including definitions, see FOKYR.
The list of conventional medical practitioners on the card shown to respondents was shorter in 2002 than in 2007.
For example, the only type of physician listed in 2002 was "medical doctor (M.D.), (including specialists)"; in 2007, however, both "medical doctor (including specialists)" and "Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.)" were listed. Some respondents may have included osteopaths in the M.D. category in 2002, but this was probably less common in 2007, when osteopaths were accorded a separate category on the flashcard.
Researchers may wish to try combining the M.D. and D.O. categories to increase comparability for FOKLMD between 2002 and 2007.
Only sample adults with a positive response in FOKLCONVHP are included in the question universe for FOKLMD. For discussion of comparability issues for FOKLCONVHP, see the documentation for that variable.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for folk medicine during the past 12 months and have let a conventional medical professional know about their use of folk medicine.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a traditional healer during the past 12 months and have let a conventional medical professional know about their use of a traditional healer.
- 2002, 2007
- 2002, 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT