Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults age 18+ who (1) felt sad, blue, or depressed (DEP2WKEV), (2) for all day long, most of the day, or about half of the day (DEPDAYAMT), (3) for every day or almost every day (DEPHOWOFT), for 2+ weeks during the past 12 months, and (4) reported having more trouble falling asleep than usual (DEPINSOM), DEPINSOMOFT reports responses to the question, "Did that [having more trouble falling asleep than usual] happen every night, nearly every night, or less often during those two weeks?" The reference period for DEPINSOMOFT was the two-week period during the past 12 months when the feelings of being sad, blue, or depressed were the worst.
Related Variables on Scoring Major Depression
DEPINSOMOFT was part of a series of mental health questions constituting the NHIS version of the Composite International Diagnostic Interview - Short Form (CIDI-SF) screening scale for major depression. More specifically, DEPINSOMOFT was part of a group of questions on major depression with dysphoric mood (feeling sad, blue, or depressed).
According to the Field Representative's Manual for 1999, this set of questions was included "to determine if the Sample Adult has been or still is depressed in the past 12 months and, if so, how it affected them physically and emotionally, how long it has affected them, how they dealt with these problems, and how much these problems interfered with their life or activities."
After passing three screening questions (DEP2WKEV, DEPDAYAMT, DEPHOWOFT), respondents received an additional series of questions on symptoms of major depression with dysphoric mood. DEPINSOM and DEPINSOMOFT were part of this series of symptom questions.
The other questions dealing with symptoms of depression with dysphoric mood related to the following:
- Lost interest in most things during 2+ weeks sad/blue/depressed, past 12 months (DEPLI)
- Felt more lethargic during 2+ weeks sad/blue/depressed, past 12 months (DEPLETH)
- Weight gained/lost/same during 2+ weeks sad/blue/depressed, past 12 months (DEPWT)
- (For respondents whose weight changed) Amount of weight change during 2+ weeks sad/blue/depressed, past 12 months (DEPWTAMT)
- (For respondents whose amount of weight change was unknown) Weight changed 10+ pounds during 2+ weeks sad/blue/depressed, past 12 months (DEPWT10)
- Had trouble concentrating during 2+ weeks sad/blue/depressed, past 12 months (DEPCONCEN)
- Felt worthless/no good during 2+ weeks sad/blue/depressed, past 12 months (DEPNOGOOD)
- Thought about death during 2+ weeks sad/blue/depressed, past 12 months (DEPSUICID)
Respondents who answered "Yes" to the DEPINSOM question about whether they had trouble sleeping and indicated that this occurred "Every night" or "Nearly every night" in DEPINSOMOFT, or who gave affirmative answers to other symptom questions, were also asked supplemental questions about the length of time they felt sad, blue, or depressed and about the effects of these symptoms on their lives (see DEPWKNO).
Respondents who reported having trouble sleeping every night or nearly every night (according to DEPINSOM and DEPINSOMOFT) received one point in the scoring system for major depression with dysphoric mood (a scale running from 0 to 7, with 3 or more classified as a probable case of major depression with dysphoric mood).
Additional points were given for affirmative responses to other symptom questions; see DEP2WKEV for details on the other CIDI-SF variables and the calculation of major depression scores.
This variable only occurs in 1999.
In 1999, a similar question, "Did that happen every night, nearly every night, or less often during those two weeks?" (DEPLINSOMOFT), was asked of sample adults age 18+ who passed the screening questions for major depression with anhedonia (loss of interest in pleasurable activities) (DEPLIFUN, DEPLIDAYAMT, DEPLIHOWOFT) and who reported having more trouble falling asleep than usual during a two-week period when they lost interest in pleasurable activities (DEPLINSOM). Only persons who were skipped out of the survey section related to dysphoric mood (and who thus did not answer the question for DEPINSOMOFT) received the question associated with DEPLINSOMOFT.
- 1999: Sample adults age 18+ who felt sad/blue/depressed at least half the day for at least almost every day for 2+ weeks during the past 12 months AND who had trouble falling asleep during this period.
- 1999 : SAMPWEIGHT