Codes and Frequencies
For persons under age 18 who have at least one activity limitation (LANY), CLIMBONE reports whether the person or person's guardian identified, from an interviewer-provided flashcard listing possible causes of activity limitations, a bone, joint, or muscle problem as a cause of any activity limitation.
CLIMBONE is one of a set of variables in the Health Status and Limitation of Activities section of the NHIS Family Core. The question, "What conditions or health problems cause [person's] limitations?," (with bone, joint, or muscle problem as a possible answer) comes only if specific answers are provided to a sequence of preceding questions that vary according to the age of the subject.
These questions, and the necessary answers, are:
Other possible causes of activity limitations listed on the flashcard provided to respondents included:
- Vision/problem seeing (CLIMVISION)
- Hearing problem (CLIMHEAR)
- Speech problem (CLIMSPEECH)
- Asthma or breathing problem (CLIMASTHMA)
- Birth defect (CLIMBIRTH)
- Injury (CLIMINJURY)
- Mental retardation (CLIMRET)
- Other developmental problem (e.g., cerebral palsy) (CLIMOTHDEV)
- Other mental, emotional or behavioral problem (CLIMEMOT)
- Epilepsy or seizures (CLIMEPILEP)
- Learning disability (CLIMLEARN)
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD) (CLIMADD)
Other possible causes of activity limitations for persons under age 18, not listed on the flashcard provided to respondents, but based on "other" responses provided by respondents to the question, "What conditions or health problems cause [person's] limitations?," include:
- First unclassified problem for children (CLIMCNEC1)
- Second unclassified problem for children (CLIMCNEC2)
The following definitions provide information about various concepts used in the sequence of questions identified above:
For 2002 forward, the variable is completely comparable.
For 1997-2001, a small number of cases were coded as "no condition at all" (IPUMS NHIS code 6) for the cause of activity limitation. If researchers are interested in only persons (under age 18) with at least one condition causing an activity limitation, then the response of "no condition at all" can be recoded as "not in universe" (IHIS code 0). Using this recode, the variable is completely comparable for 1997 forward.
- 1997-2013; 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018: Persons under age 18 with at least 1 limitation.
- 1997-2018 : PERWEIGHT