Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults age 18 and over who have ever used chewing tobacco, CHEW20LIFE reports if the respondent used chewing tobacco at least 20 times in his or her entire life.
The 1987 Field Representative's Manual instructed interviewers to record, ""DK Chewing Tobacco" if the respondent reported they did not know what chewing tobacco was. The Manuals from 1992 forward mention that using chewing tobacco includes chewing the tobacco or just placing it in the mouth.
From 1998 forward, the survey text included mention of specific brands ("Have you used chewing tobacco (such as Redman, Levi Garrett, or Beechnut) at least 20 times in your entire life?'). For the earlier years, these same brands were mentioned in the variable CHEWEV, ever chewed tobacco, the variable preceding the question for CHEW20LIFE.
- 1987; 1991: Sample persons age 18+ who have ever used chewing tobacco.
- 1992: Half of sample persons age 18+ in quarters 1 and 2, and in 2 weeks of quarter 3 (excluded from CAEP supplement) who ever used chewing tobacco.
- 1994: Half of sample persons age 18+ (excluded from AIDS supplement) who ever used chewing tobacco.
- 1998: Sample adults age 18+.
- 2000; 2005; 2010: Sample adults age 18+ who ever used chewing tobacco.
- 1987, 1991-1992, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2010