Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults age 18 and older, CHEWEV reports whether the sample person ever used chewing tobacco. Examples given in the survey question include Redman, Levi Garrett, and Beechnut.
Please refer to the "universe" tab for more information about changes in the universe. For related variables, please use the IPUMS NHIS search function and drop-down menus.
- 1987: Half of sample persons age 18+ (excluded from CAEP supplement).
- 1991: Sample persons age 18+.
- 1992: Half of sample persons age 18+ in quarters 1 and 2, and in 2 weeks of quarter 3 (excluded from CAEP supplement).
- 1994: Half of sample persons age 18+ (excluded from AIDS supplement).
- 2000; 2005; 2010: Sample adults age 18+.
- 1987, 1991-1992, 1994, 2000, 2005, 2010