Codes and Frequencies
CHAIR indicates whether the respondent or someone in the respondent's family used a wheelchair at the time of the interview. In 1969, 1977, 1979, 1980 and 1990, this question applied to the respondent and the respondent's family members. In 2008 and 2010, this question only applied to the sample adult respondent. This question was asked of all surveyed adults in 1969, 1977, 1979, 1980 and 2008, but was only asked of those who indicated that they used equipment for moving around in 1990 (MOBILAIDYN) and 2010 (LAWALKCLIMPERQ).
The basic methodology employed to collect the information in CANE was similar in all years, but the details differed slightly through time.
In 1969, 1977, 1979, 1980 respondents are simply asked about whether anyone in the family uses a wheelchair. In 1990 and 2008, the question specifies that the aid is used, "...to get around..." and in 2010, this precision changes to use of equipment for, "...help with walking, climbing steps, or moving around?" For 1990, this variable indicates the type of wheel chair (Manual, Electric or Scooter).
In 1990, this question was only asked of respondents who did not refuse to complete the assistive devices supplement.
In 2010, this item was collected for sample adults who completed the Quality of Life supplement (administered to approximately a quarter of sample adults). In 2011-2017, this item was collected for sample adults who completed the Adult Functioning and Disability supplement (administered to a subset of sample adults). Beginning in 2018, this item was included on the sample adult questionnaire.
- 1969; 1977: All persons.
- 1979-1980: All persons.
- 1990: Persons who did not refuse to complete the assistive devices supplement and who now use any special equipment getting around.
- 2008: Sample persons age 18+.
- 2010: Quarter of sample persons age 18+, included in quality of life supplement (and excluded from family disability supplement), who use equipment or receive help for walking, climbing steps, or moving around.
- 2011: Sample adults 18+ who were selected to receive the Family Disability questions and used equipment or received help with walking, climbing steps, or moving around.
- 2012-2017: Sample adults 18+ who were asked the Family disability questions and were selected to receive the Functioning and Disability section, and used equipment or received help gettting around.
- 2018: Sample adults 18+ who used equipment or received help gettting around.
- 1969, 1977, 1979-1980, 1990, 2008, 2010-2018