Codes and Frequencies
For sample persons age 18 and over who were diagnosed with one kind of cancer in the past 10 years or who were diagnosed with more than one kind of cancer, the most recent of which was diagnosed in the past 10 years and who were working (but not self-employed) before or after diagnosis, CANFIRED reports whether the person was fired or laid off due to the cancer.
This variable was also asked of persons for whom it was unknown if they were working.
Related variables include:
- CANPROBLEM, problems with supervisor due to cancer
- CANCHNGJOB, the person felt they could not change jobs due to concerns related to cancer
- CANCHNGHI, couldn't change jobs due to change in health insurance related to cancer
- CANMEDREC, couldn't change jobs because didn't want medical records made public
CANFIRED was introduced as part of the 1992 cancer supplement, sponsored by the National Cancer Institute. For related variables and more information, please use the IPUMS NHIS search function and drop-down menus.
- 1992: Sample persons age 18+ in quarters 1 and 2 and in 2 weeks of quarter 3 who were ever diagnosed with one kind of cancer and were diagnosed in the past 10 years OR who were diagnosed with more than one kind of cancer and most recent cancer was diagnosed in the past 10 years AND who were working after diagnosis and not self-employed (or for whom it was unknown whether they were working and not self-employed after diagnosis).
- 1992 : SAMPWEIGHT