Codes and Frequencies
For sample persons ages 18 and over who have been tested for HIV (from 1991 to 1995, who have ever been tested; from 1997-1999, who have been tested for HIV in the last 12 months), ATRLFIND reports if the reason for the most recent HIV test was because she/he wanted to find out if she/he was infected. Beginning in 1993, respondents are asked not to include blood donations; prior to 1991 as part of a blood donation process was included as a separate response category. See the Comparability and Universe tabs for complete information on question wording and universe.
Changes in universe and question wording affect comparability between samples. From 1993 to 1995, this question was asked of persons who have ever been tested for HIV. From 1997 to 1999, respondents were only asked this question if their most recent HIV test was within the last 12 months. "Just to find out/Worried that you are infected" was part of a list of possible reasons the respondent could select for his or her most recent HIV test for 1995 forward. This is a slight modification from the 1994 wording "Just to find out/I am worried that I am infected". For 1991-1993, the response category read "Just to find out if you were infected". Changes to the list between the 1991 and 1997 samples could affect comparability, although respondents were permitted to select more than one response from the list.
Changes in survey design (e.g. quarters or subsamples) affect raw frequencies but do not affect comparability between samples. As always, data users should apply prescribed IPUMS NHIS weights.
- 1991: Sample adults age 18+ who have ever been tested for HIV.
- 1992: Half of sample persons age 18+ who have ever been tested for HIV.
- 1993: Half of sample persons age 18+ in Q3 and Q4 (excluded from Y2K supplement) who have ever been tested for HIV.
- 1994-1995: Half of sample persons age 18+ (excluded from Y2K supplement) who have ever been tested for HIV.
- 1997-1999: Sample adults age 18+ who have ever been tested for HIV and have been tested in the past 12 months.
- 1991-1995, 1997-1999