Codes and Frequencies
For sample persons age 18 and older in 1988-1995, and, in 1987, sample persons age 18 and older who reported when they last saw, heard, or read something about AIDS, or who ever heard of AIDS, AIDVACINE indicates if the person believes the statement "There is a vaccine available to the public that protects a person from getting the AIDS virus" to be true or false.
This variable is part of the NHIS supplement on AIDS knowledge and attitudes. For related variables, please use the IPUMS NHIS search function and drop-down menus.
The response categories changed over time. From 1987-1990, sample persons were asked to what extent they believed the statement to be true, ranging from "definitely true" to "definitely false". Starting in 1991, sample persons were asked only if they believed the statement to be true or false.
Changes in survey design (e.g., quarters in which the supplement was collected) may affect raw frequencies, but do not affect comparability of the variable. As always, data users should use the prescribed IHIS weights.
- 1987: Sample persons age 18+ in quarter 3 (5th week) and quarter 4 who reported when saw/heard/read something about AIDS or who ever heard of AIDS.
- 1988: Sample persons age 18+ in quarters 2 through 4.
- 1989-1991: Sample persons age 18+.
- 1992: Half of sample persons age 18+.
- 1993: Half of sample persons age 18+ in quarters 3 and 4 (excluded from Y2K supplement).
- 1994-1995: Half of sample persons age 18+ (excluded from Y2K supplement).
- 1987-1995 : SUPP1WT