Codes and Frequencies
For sample persons aged 18 and older (in 1987, who have ever heard of AIDS), AIDSKNOWPER reports if the person has ever known anyone personally who had AIDS or the AIDS virus. In 1987, persons were asked separately if they personally knew anyone who had the AIDS virus (included in this variable) and if they personally knew anyone who had AIDS (AIDSKNOW87).
This variable is part of the NHIS supplement on AIDS knowledge and attitudes. For related variables, please use the IPUMS NHIS search function and drop-down menus.
Changes in wording and universe affect comparability between 1987 and subsequent years.
Changes in survey design (e.g., quarters in which the supplement was collected) may affect raw frequencies, but do not affect comparability of the variable. As always, data users should use the prescribed IHIS weights.
- 1987: Sample persons age 18+ in quarter 3 (5th week) and quarter 4 who have ever heard of AIDS.
- 1988: Sample persons age 18+ in quarters 2 through 4.
- 1989-1990: Sample persons age 18+.
- 1993: Half of sample persons age 18+ in quarters 3 and 4 (excluded from Y2K supplement).
- 1994-1995: Half of sample persons age 18+ (excluded from Y2K supplement).
- 1987-1990, 1993-1995
- 1987-1990, 1993-1995 : SUPP1WT