Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had never used acupuncture (ACUEV), ACUNEVPROOF identifies those who responded, "Medical science has not shown that it works" when asked, "Please tell me the reasons why you have never used acupuncture." Respondents could supply more than one reason for never having used acupuncture.
Other reasons for never using acupuncture are recorded in the following variables:
- ACUNEVCOST (Too expensive)
- ACUNEVHC (HC worker said not to)
- ACUNEVKNOW (Didn't know about it)
- ACUNEVNEED (Not needed)
- ACUNEVSAFE (Not safe)
- ACUNEVTHINK (Never thought of it)
- ACUNEVWORK (Doesn't work)
- ACUNEVREAS (No reason)
- ACUNEVOTH (Some other reason)
Although 16 alternative health modalities were covered in the 2007 alternative health supplement, only in the case of acupuncture, chiropractic and osteopathic manipulation (see COMNEVCOST), meditation (see RELNEVCOST), and yoga (see YTQNEVCOST) were survey participants who had ever used a method questioned about why they had never used the method.
For more information about the full range of variables related acupuncture, including definitions, see ACUYR.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have never used acupuncture.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT